What is Transport Oakland?
Transport Oakland is an advocacy organization dedicated to supporting and advocating for great transportation in Oakland. Our vision is to achieve transportation infrastructure and policy that brings livability, vitality, sustainability, and equity to Oakland. We achieve this vision by:
- Advocating for sound transportation policies
- Supporting leaders committed to better transportation
- Taking an active part in planning and infrastructure implementation processes
Founded in 2014, Transport Oakland has a track record of success in bringing our vision for transportation progress to the forefront in Oakland. Transport Oakland endorsed winning candidates in 2014, 2016, and 2018 local elections under our former organizational structure that focused on endorsing candidates. Starting in 2018, Transport Oakland shifted from engaging in primarily political advocacy to a mission centered around multi-modal policy engagement. .
Recruitment of New Board Members
Transport Oakland is in search of at least 4 new board members in 2021. Building off successes of previous years, the board is in search of additional board members who could support current and future campaign goals.
In an effort to increase the racial, geographic, and skills diversity of the board, we are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with or are part of Oakland communities underrepresented in transportation decisions and processes such as communities of color and neighborhoods outside of downtown.
Currently, Transport Oakland is an all-volunteer board with supporters who help support our campaigns and efforts. Moving forward, the Transport Oakland board’s goal is to strategically grow into a more sustainable organization that has staff to support our campaigns to improve transportation-related efforts in and around Oakland.
Time Commitment and Responsibilities
On average, each board member is expected to commit approximately 8-10 hours per month. Types of as-necessary activities include:
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Working with city departments on upcoming or established transportation-related programs like Slow Streets
- Creating communications plans that strategically time the publication and distribution of key messages that support Transport Oakland goals
- Writing blog posts about transportation projects in and around Oakland
Skills or experience desired
- Writing: examples include newsletters, social media, blog posts, mailchimp experience
- Marketing and communications: strategic communications planning, ie: timing of blog posts or social media as related to key campaign goals
- Fundraising! Including light grant writing,
- Event planning (virtual until further notice)
- Website administration: wordpress
- Non-profit law
- Graphic design
- Accounting: basic bookkeeping and finance management
Interested in applying, or just for more information? Please complete this form and we’ll get back to you soon.
- Support the Agency: Provide OakDOT with the backing and resources it needs to be successful
- Involve the People: Broaden community input into transportation-related decisions
- Fix the Streets: Support the development and implementation of projects and processes that promote safe, multimodal, street use
What will Transport Oakland look like in 3 years?
Three years from now, Transport Oakland will be a small but sustainable organization with an Executive Director and some paid staff devoted to growing the constituency that is aligned with our vision of transportation infrastructure and policy that brings livability, vitality, sustainability, and equity to Oakland. With diverse funding including grants and supporter donations, Transport Oakland will be striving to make safe, reliable, and sustainable transportation options the preferred mode choice of all Oaklanders.