It is common knowledge that Oakland’s streets are broken. In fact, sixty percent of Oakland streets are now in “poor” condition and the city’s paving maintenance backlog is over $500 million. However it’s not just alligator cracking and Steph Curry-sized potholes that are proliferating on our streets. Over the past 4 years there have been over 10,000 vehicle collisions on our streets and over 2000 of those collisions included people walking or biking. Tragically, 105 people have been killed on our streets. We deserve safe and smooth streets for everybody, regardless of where we live and whether we are walking, driving, riding AC Transit, or biking.
Luckily, OakDOT is currently developing a 3-year repaving plan. The 3-year repaving plan proposed by OakDOT would:
- Triple current spending on paving and make safety routine when we repave our streets;
- Distribute 85 percent of local street spending using an equity formula that places equal importance on serving areas with higher underserved populations and fixing the worst local streets;
- Prioritize locations where the most fatal and severe crashes occur;
- Incorporate new curb ramps, sidewalk repairs, improved crosswalk markings alongside other improvements identified by the pedestrian plan and the draft bicycle plan; and
- Provide opportunities for increased coordination with AC Transit to deliver transit spot improvements
Transport Oakland supports the enactment of safe, sustainable and equitable transportation policies. We believe that the proposed three-year paving plan is a well-crafted policy that represents a smart investment in Oakland’s transportation system.
Show your support for safe and equitable streets!
Join us by letting your Councilmembers know that you support OakDOT’s 3 Year Repaving Plan.
Contact Your Councilmember:
- District 1 Dan Kalb: email@example.com [North Oakland and represents Temescal]
- District 2 Nikki Fortunato Bas: firstname.lastname@example.org [Chinatown, East Lake]
- District 3 Lynette Gibson McElhaney: email@example.com [West Oakland, Downtown]
- District 4 Sheng Thao: firstname.lastname@example.org [Oakland Hills, Maxwell Park]
- District 5 Noel Gallo: email@example.com [Fruitvale]
- District 6 Loren Taylor: firstname.lastname@example.org [Havenscourt, Central East Oakland]
- District 7 Larry Reid: email@example.com [Elmhurst, Castlemont, Deep East Oakland]
- At-Large Rebecca Kaplan: firstname.lastname@example.org [entire Town]